ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hats off to Victor!! Problem Solved!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whupy
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Hats off to Victor!! Problem Solved!! Reply with quote

This is the follow-up and closure to my previous post "Recovered password, but still wont unlock".

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773

After sending Victor my bin file , this was his response.

Quote:
Well,

This is not a good dump. Looks like somehow the bytes are shifted, I have seen this only once coming from a guy who had a virus on its computer...
Once again the dumo is not good. Try to read it again using another PC maybe.

Good luck.

I decided to give it one more try on the XP machine, but for some strange reason it kept telling me "no eprom found". I checked the connections to the eprom several times as well as the circuit on the breadboard. Everything seemed correct. Finally after going over it many times, I discovered that a lead coming from the com port was plugged into a dead hole in the breadboard. The strange thing is that it was like that when I made the first read. I thought that may be the reason for the shift, but after reading the eprom again it came back with the same shifted nonsense. So now it was off Vista world.

The computer that I was using had a fairly fresh install of XP, and I didn't want to believe that there was a virus on it, and I wasn't going to rule it out either. So with that info in hand , I decided to try it on a Vista machine with a fresh install. By the way, I've seen no mention if the software on this site works with Vista? I can tell you it does, and quite well too, I might add!

After moving the files I needed to my Vista box I was ready to try again Confused
I plugged in my com port cable, got the software ready, hooked up the 600e and poof....it read the eprom. I then proceeded to load it into Passlite and decrypt the file. This time after scrolling down, I was presented with something new...

Hope thats not your password I just posted? HeHe!!!!

Now I'm getting really exited. I then powered up the 600e, waited for it to finish booting, typed in the revealed password and "presto" I was in.

First things first...
Deleted the SVP and set the time and day! All error codes GONE!!!

Thank you so much Victor. I purchased this bottom half 600e off of ebay for the CPU. Not knowing what I know about the hardware, I found that this cpu wouldn't fit my motherboard in a 600 (mmc-1 vs mmc-2). So I was then left with using the motherboard to. The Ebay item listing was as ""motherboard should work". I put the CPU back in the 600e, connected my power supply and the board powered on. I then proceeded to attach my lcd screen and keyboard to the 600e. When it was all back together I powered it back up and was then totally bummed out when the password prompt came up.

And so the saga began......

Once again thanks Victor, the pizza and beers are in the mail....

A few tips and photo's on how I recovered the password on my 600e.

The ultra simple "simple-i2cprog" circuit on a breadboard (sucker worked like a charm...)

Materials used...
A) Breadboard, Cat# 276-003. $7.99
B) 2.2k Ohm Resistors (red,red,red,gold), Cat# 271-1121 (2 needed) $0.99 package of 5.
C) Diodes, (2 needed) 1N4733A 1W Zener Diode 5.1V Cat#275-565 $1.39 (Package of 2)
E) Enameled wire (magnet wire). Cat# 278-1345 (use the red color wire) $4.99
*All purchased at Radio Shack.*
F) Stiff wire (paper clip) for leads on end of serial cable & SDA & SCL Leads.
G) Small sewing needle
H) Heat shrink tubing (small...micro?)
I) Old serial mouse or serial cable with the correct wires inside for the pins you'll need on the com port.
J) Ohm Meter or similar.

**The first mouse I sacrificed (some unknown) only had 4 wires inside and only used 2 of the 4 pins I needed. The 2nd mouse, the Microsoft, had the correct wires inside and the pins I needed.

First thing I did was build the circuit, then the cable, then test it.

To build circuit just duplicate the breadboard in the pic above.
The wire color on the leads from the com port mean nothing. They plug in according to pin number.
I tested for the wires in the serial cable by inserting a paper clip one at a time into pins 4,5,7 & 8 (their numbered on this plug),

and then probing the wires until I located the 4 pins I needed, pin's 4,5,7 & 8. I then cut the wires I didn't need, put a piece of shrink tubing on the end. Then I stripped off the ends of the 4 wires on the serial cable and cut 4 pieces of the stiff wire (about 15mm). Wrap the stripped wire about 5-7mm down the cut paper clip wire, put a piece of shrink tubing on it, shrunk it down and then I put another larger size on top of that and shrunk it, (don't over heat). These make great (but fragile) solder-less connections for plugging your cable into your breadboard (see breadboard photo above).

After I had the cable and circuit working, I then moved to the 600e. The eprom in the 600e hides under the fan/heat sink cpu, so I needed to remove them to attach the sda and scl leads.

Next came the fun stuff...

If you got helping hands get them. You can't do this without a magnifying glass. This was like doing micro surgery.
First I attached the SDA lead. What I did was scrape bare about 1-2mm at the end of a 60cm piece of enameled wire, and bent the smallest-tiny hook I could. Then under the magnifying glass I hooked the hook under the leg of the SDA leg, then draped it over the round part marked 220. All the while I had a rubber band on the tip of my pinkie finger which I slid over the part marked 220 and held the SDA lead in place hooked on the eprom leg. Then I used my meter to check for continuity. Touch the end of the wire , then prob the leg you hooked to. Should be continuity. While still holding the prob on the end of the wire, move other prob over 1 leg. There should not be continuity. If there is, then the hook is to long under the leg and is touching both legs.

Next was to hook up the SCL lead.

Start by using a 60cm length piece of enameled wire. Scrape bare about 5mm on both ends. Next cut the tip off a sewing needle (about 10mm). For this connection I used solder. I felt I needed something better when connecting the wire to the needle. For the other end, wrap the bare wire around a paper clip and shrink tube it like the cable leads.

This is how I connected it to the board.

Take the wire end with the needle and carefully slide it in behind the rubber band around part 220 and aim it for the hole at the end of the trace lead coming off the SCL leg on the eprom. Be careful not to scratch the motherboard with the tip of the needle. The trick is to get the needle to stay in the hole.
Once your satisfied, then test your connection with your meter. One probe on the end of the wire and the other on the SCL leg of the eprom. Not the needle, but the leg. The idea is to see if you made the connection back to the eprom. Also recheck your first connection to the SDA leg.
When satisfied with your connections put a piece of tape over the top of part 220 to help hold things in place.

Finally, I simply hooked the ground to the screw holding the cpu card in. I double checked this by touchig the screw at the cpu with the ground leg on the eprom. That tells me that the eprom is grounded along with that screw. See photo above with ground screw marked.

When I was all done with that I carefully put the cpu in place, attached the ground to the screw, powered up the laptop without the keyboard. When I got to the password prompt I made my connections and executed the command, the program read the eprom and saved the file. Powered down the laptop, Used passlite to read password. Hooked up the keyboard, powered back up the laptop...the rest is history.

What it kinda looked like...

Sorry didn't get no pics of the real hookup Embarassed

Thats basically the sum of it. The software and circuit worked perfectly on Vista. I cant say enough about the help in here. Which makes me ask...whats up with the mystery agp in these machines?? My goal in this process was to keep a soldering iron away from the eprom. Heat is the worst thing for these chips, and its to easy to destroy. I'd use chewing gum from under a table before sticking an iron on that chip. I'd wash my hands when done. I do admire those with the ability to solder in such detail. I wish I could, but I cant, so I do the next best thing...improvise and devise.

I couldn't have done it without the trusty 220 component that aided so much in this painstaking almost rocket science, brain surgery, pain in the rear adventure. Not all Thinkpads have this valuable component in this location so I guess you may need to improvise.

Sorry this post went on so long...I must rest now...Thanks Victor and to my Wife bless her heart Wink
Whupy
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comments and ??'s are welcome...
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi whupy,

Excellent post in my opinion. I would like to thank you for all your time spent to make this available for all of us.

Good job!

P.S. The pictures were copied to our server now, just to make them permanent. All credits and copyrights,etc., to their author.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work whupy, I will place a link in the Practice thread to this one.

I am not sure what could be the problem with the first PC. It is possible that the port to be hardware limited to only 9600 or under, that will explain the eratic readings.

Quote:
By the way, I've seen no mention if the software on this site works with Vista? I can tell you it does, and quite well too, I might add!

The software has been released a cuple of years before Vista, but is working in NT32 with API, so at least Vista 32 bit is OK.

In rest, everything was nice and clear. If you will have a similar experience with another ones, you may write an article to the Practice area anytime (that was somehow neglected till now..).

All the best!
prowdmonky
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: missing Info on Diagram and instructions. PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

This Breadboard diagram and instructions are missing some information. I cannot read schematic diagrams so I was happy to see the breadboard picture. As I was trying to follow these instructions and the diagram I am stuck because I don't know where to put the Serial port wires 4,5,7,8 on the breadboard. The picture only shows four wires and no place does it tell me what wires are which? ALSO, there is no indication where the EEPROM SDA and SCL leads go on the Breadboard. Can anyone please help me as I have my laptop open and wires hanging off it but don't k know where they go?
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've guessed you refered the breadboard image posted here, so I took the liberty to edit that a little (I hope Whupy will excuse me), see bellow...

The "X" is what I found to be wrong, in rest just follow the connections.

prowdmonky
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Still getting Error: circuit not found or bus error. Reply with quote

Victor, Thanks for the quick response. This diagram is perfect!! I am still getting Circuit not found or bus error? Question: The breadboard that I got from Radio Shack Cat# 276-003 (shown in the picture) came with a metal plate, I assumed went on the back of the breadboard because the breadboard had a sticky backside. Was I to attach this back metal piece the backside of the breadboard? I did. Also I have tried this serial breadboard circuit on both a xp and vista desktop (compaq and Dell) and both with the same error? Is this error displayed regardless of the connection to the laptop leads SDA and SCL connections?

Thank you for your help.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. DO NOT TRY TO READ THE EEPROM UNTIL YOU KNOW THE INTERFACE IS WORKING!

2. How will you know that? Ah well, by using itester.exe

3. I need to see your setup, so post some pictures, and please include the serial DB9 connector too.
prowdmonky
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: OK These are my breadboard and Serial Port Pics. Reply with quote

[img]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/prowdmonky/mydiag1.jpg?t=1227580821[/img]
[img]http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/prowdmonky/SerialPort.jpg?t=1227580840[/img]

Please let me know what I am doing wrong?
MY colors for serial cables are as follows
Blue=Com 4 lead
Black=Com 5 lead
Yellow= Com 7 lead
Red=Com 8 lead

[/img]
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diode betwen SCL and GND is upside-down...
prowdmonky
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Now was able to get file but dont how to read the result Reply with quote

I read the file and made a .bin file. The Line on 0x330 reads:

0x330 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 26 32 26 1e 00 00 b5 .........&2&.
0x340 19 26 32 26 1e 00 00 b5 88 c6 fa 03 83 c2 fa 02 &2&

This the right hex codes but i cant understand the symbols at the right.

How do I read this.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open it in IBMpass, then click the A-A button and take a look again.

violin
prowdmonky
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Many Thanks it Works!! Reply with quote

Victor , It worked. I wanted to let everyone know I had to use an olm meter to get past issues I didnt let you know about. With the diagram you gave me and you correction with the diode, it still didnt work. I then didnt want to bother you until I was able to test the continuity of each lead. One my leads tested good with an olm meter. (Testing each com lead and the leads from the sda and scl leads) Hooked up the female connector to my computer and tested it with itester.exe. The in and out sda alternated in sync. I knew it was ready for the eeprom connections. Then getting the .bin dump with data in it was a blessing. I was confused by the characters that dumped with IBMPASS2.1 but you explained how to fix that by clicking the AA button.

Your help was very valuable and I hope good things come your way!!
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Good things to your way too and God bless all of us Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: