ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EEPROM location on TP 600X - Type 2645
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strike3
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: EEPROM location on TP 600X - Type 2645 Reply with quote

Before taking my friends TP to small pieces can anybody help with the location of the EEPROM.
Have searched the forum but can find nothing for the 600X.
Many thanks.
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

600x has 14 pin ATMEL 24RF08. Is marked U79 as you can see here
strike3
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - thanks for the reply.
I assume that it is part of the system board (1160 in service manual)
thesanman112
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Maybe this helps... Reply with quote

If you are looking down at top of motherboard, and facing the same way as it faces inside th laptop when you are using it, it is located at the bottm left side of the processor,just left of it.
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Help locating 24RF08 on 2645-9FU Reply with quote

I have read the sticky thread here on this board about using the TTL-RS232 interface and reading the data from the EEPROM. My problem is that I can't seem to find the EEPROM! I have a 650Mhz 600X (type 2645-9FU) and have taken pictures of the motherboard and the processor board and posted them at:

http://www.rkawakami.net/ibm_600x/bios_pass/

(Edit 4/17/06: Page has been updated with complete info about my experience in reading the supervisor password)

If somebody who knows where the EEPROM is located, could you please visit my page, look at the pictures and let me know where to look? It's driving me crazy not being able to find it! At this point I figure the EEPROM has got to be located on the back side of the motherboard, but I don't want to take the laptop apart any more than I really have to. Thanks for your help, and thanks to Victor for posting all of this information!!

Ray

Last edited by rkawakami on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ricardo
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help locating 24RF08 on 2645-9FU Reply with quote

rkawakami wrote:
... At this point I figure the EEPROM has got to be located on the back side of the motherboard...

Ray, that's right. It is at the back of the motherboard marked U79.
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help locating 24RF08 on 2645-9FU Reply with quote

Ricardo wrote:
Ray, that's right. It is at the back of the motherboard marked U79.

Ricardo,

Okay, thanks for that confirmation... looks like I'm leafing though the service manual tonight to figure out what needs to come out before the motherboard. From memory, it's more like what doesn't get removed.... I've disassembled the 600X many times to replace a keyboard, LCD, clean out spilled water (daughter's accident which I was able to recover from), even to install an 802.11b/g antenna into the lid above the display, but I've never had the nerve (or reason) to rip out the motherboard. Wouldn't it be easier to take my Dremel and simply cut the bottom of the case Wink ?

Ray
Ricardo
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help locating 24RF08 on 2645-9FU Reply with quote

rkawakami wrote:
...Wouldn't it be easier to take my Dremel and simply cut the bottom of the case Wink ?Ray

I'd thought about that too Very Happy specially for the 770x/z where there is a good reason to do so. Imagine a finger-replaceable memory module under the motherboard where eveything must be removed to reach it?

I had to dismantle my 600x twice last night. The first try, the machine won't boot after connecting the three wires and re-assembly. After dismantling again, I found the insulation was knicked on one wire possibly pressed against the ground connection. The second reassembly was ok, leaving out the pcmcia, modem, speaker/microphone connectors for a while to save on time and effort. I suggest do not disconnect the cmos battery so that you will not get into the 161/163 error during reboot although it was suggested in this forum that the eeprom can be read during the password prompt after POST and the 161/163 error. In short all screws must go to get to the back of the motherboard. Once done, with the front side of the TP towards you, grab the edge of the board facing you and the board should budge upon lift out, taking note of the hd ide connector to clear the plastic flap that covers it.

My exercise is not a success yet though since I got a "circuit not found or bus error" using the SIPROG interface and trying two desktops to read the eeprom. I guess I have to go back to the drawing board Wink

Let us know of your successfull attempt. Good luck.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricardo,

The "circuit not found" error means only one thing: you have a faulty circuit...

Check list:

-Resistor value. Must be 2.2K (red-red-red);
-COM1 connections. Check the port pins enumeration.
-Diodes polarity.

If the error appears only when the eeprom is connected then the resistors value is wrong. Better to check with an ohmeter to be sure.

Quote:
I suggest do not disconnect the cmos battery so that you will not get into the 161/163 error during reboot...

In fact you have to do that just to be sure is not only POP set there, both POP and SVP have the same logo. The chip can be read no matter what error is prompted.

Good luck!
Ricardo
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
...The "circuit not found" error means only one thing: you have a faulty circuit...
Quote:
I suggest do not disconnect the cmos battery so that you will not get into the 161/163 error during reboot...

In fact you have to do that just to be sure is not only POP set there, both POP and SVP have the same logo. The chip can be read no matter what error is prompted...

One more feather for this site! Laughing Thinkpad's alive and kicking! Thanks Victor, Bob. The hiccup - I forgot to connect CTS, pin #8, to the SDA line. And true, remove the cmos battery to make sure the POP (if any) is cleared, and do not be concerned if you can not get to the bios using F1. When you get to the password prompt after the POST, then it is time to read the eeprom. One more note for newbies like me: the host was running winxp sp1. I typed the commands given in the tutorial (including the old dos ibmpass decoder) in a command prompt window.

Will be sending the .bin file.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a mention. IBMpass 1.1 is a windows application in fact, is still available because it gives quick results.
I suggest you to use the version 2.0 so that you'll be able to reveal passwords from Dell or other brands that use scancodes.

Nice to see that and thanks for the dump.
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Another sucess story! Reply with quote

Thanks go to Victor for posting this info and to Ricardo for leading me down the correct path to find the elusive 24RF08! I have sucessfully read the supervisor password from my IBM 600X (2645-9FU). I will update my site within the next couple of days to document the steps I took to perform this "magic".

(Edit 4/18/06: Page has been updated with complete info about my experience in reading the supervisor password)

Ray

Last edited by rkawakami on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice arrangement. I think a link in the practice section would be a good idea.

Good job!

Bob
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Page update complete Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have finished my web page detailing the way I successfully read and removed the supervisor password in my 600X using information supplied by Victor on this site. You can visit my page at:

As requested, I have posted this into the "Practice" thread as mentioned above. Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Ray
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Alternate connection method for IBM 600X Reply with quote

Hi!

As promised in my last posting about my experience with unlocking a 600X, I have some new information that will make it easier to perform this task. You don't have to remove the LCD or motherboard anymore! I have updated my site at:

with this new method. (Sorry for the numerous pictures but I like having complete documentation; dial-up users may have to wait several minutes for the page to finish loading.)

I have also cross-posted this message to the 'Practice' thread that I have found here:

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?p=915

Basically, I have found places to tap into the SDA and SCL signals from the top side of the motherboard. You only have to remove the keyboard and CPU/heat sink assembly to get at them.

Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: